A topper (sometimes called a wiglet) is a hair piece that works with your own hair to disguise hair loss. Most toppers are attached via clips. There are many sizes in toppers to suit all levels of hair loss, and they will blend blend with your own hair.
Hair loss can occur slowly or be rapid; it can happen at any age for many different reasons, including genetic loss and taking various kinds of medication. Sometimes the loss is temporary, sometimes permanent.
Below are some pointers to help when determining the best topper or hairpiece for you, as different pieces work for different people:
- Determine what hair loss stage you are at Beginning, Progressive or Advanced stages.
- Measure the area of your scalp that you want to cover. The Topper needs to be a little bigger than this area so the hair piece can clip onto your own hair. The clips should clip on to a reasonable amount of hair to not aggravate any hair loss you already are experiencing.
- Choose what base you would like: Monofilament Tops allow the wearer more styling options as the hair will go in any direction and the part area is more realistic. A classic base is a base where you can pull through some of your hair to integrate.
- Select hair length, hair colour and fibre. The hair colour and length is all dependant on the look you are trying to create.
- Some helpful tips to wearing a topper: Lightly tease or spray hair with hair spray ( or dry shampoo) to give your hair some texture. The clips will hold on much better.
A hairpiece can also be a small helper addition to your natural hair, for example, a ponytail extension. These are designed for fashion purposes, and look incredibly natural. The key is, like a topper, to match it to your bio hair.
Hair loss can occur slowly or be rapid; it can happen at any age for many different reasons, including genetic loss and taking various kinds of medication. Sometimes the loss is temporary, sometimes permanent. But above all, there is a solution to help you, and for many women, toppers and hair pieces provide the natural look they have been searching for.